Videos have become a large space in education. Teachers, administrators, and students all use some type of video platform. Teachers use youtube and other video platforms to create and share content. Many educators allow their students to create videos to assess their knowledge on a topic. Videos also help cultivate the culture of a school campus. Students and teachers can create videos to weekly showcase announcements, special events, and other various information for the school. The following are youtube channels that show the benefits of creating and sharing videos:
Here are two videos from BBMSMEDIAthat I think are super cute. Both of these videos are probably videos the students would want to watch most. The first one incorporates pop culture to remind students to turn in overdue books.
The second video uses Disney's Beauty and the Beast for an overdue library book parody. Who doesn't love disney?!
THEUNQUIETLIBRARY uses their platform to promote their school library services. The two videos below show student engagement in the videos where they're answering questions about what makes a library. The second video is more of an entertaining video for students to watch as they see themselves and their peers using the library.
PIKESVILLEHSLIBRARYuses their platform for mostly entertainment. The first video shows the senior class in the library having a dance party as they celebrate their last year in highschool:
This next video is both entertaining for the students and also helpful as the kids show students how to "pimp your binder."
Another way to use videos in the library is by creating book trailers. I created a book trailer on the popular YA novel, Five Survive by Holly Jackson.
Synopsis: Grades 9-12. Five high-school students road trip in an RV to meet their classmates at a spring break location. A few wrong turns and popped tires later, they are trapped in the RV in the middle of the woods, where an unknown sniper holds them hostage. One of them has information that the sniper wants, and personal, political, and generational secrets are spilled as the group tries to plan an escape without going full Lord of the Flies. Red, the shy and traumatized girl at the center of the story, offers a mysterious and at times hard-to-follow narration. The prose tightens up as the action begins, and Jackson (A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder, 2020) takes readers through a series of slightly predictable but fun twists and turns. - Booklist (December 1, 2022 (Vol. 119, No. 7))
Here is a QR code to access the book trailer:
I created the book trailer using the application, Animoto. The app is computer-friendly and functions well on a laptop. They have templates where you can easily insert your own text and visuals. Here is the actual trailer from youtube:
Last but not least for this blog post, I want to discuss the importance of QR codes. QR codes are a way of granting instant access to all sorts of content. Most students own a smartphone. Most schools offer ipads to use for educational purposes. QR codes can be posted around the library for various reasons. The librarian can post QR codes relating to book lists of various genres. You could also post them in a makerspace where students can choose what types of reading activities they'd like to engage in by using the QR code. QR codes are also helpful in google slides and other applications related to student learning. If a teacher or librarian is presenting something, a student can easily look up a picture or video by scanning the QR code embedded in a presentation.
Your book trailer is so well done! Wow... it had me on the edge of my seat. Also, I love the Taylor Swift video as well as the Beauty and the Beast clip. I think you're absolutely right. Who doesn't love Disney?
I loved your book trailer. As for the videos, those were the highlight of this assignment. My personal favorite was the Frozen, Elsa song on returning books to the library. When I get my own library, I am going to use that clip! Thank you for your perspective on this websites.
As I have been completing my Librarian Practicum, I have noticed that a librarian's schedule is very important for so many different reasons. The students need access to materials 24/7, teachers need assistance and library space, and administrators have needs and requests as well. Aside from all of that, the librarian has to plan when they are going to work on everything else: planning lessons, collecting materials, weeding, reading advocacy, school clubs, etc. The list goes on. I think that there is a happy medium between a flexible schedule and a fixed schedule. For example, on the days the librarian is giving lessons, the library should only be open for checking out books. A flexible schedule will work most other days. This also depends on the space of the library. If a teacher wants to use a space in the library to teach a lesson, the library may have to be closed as well. But again, the library always remains open for students needing access to books. Here's an elementary...
Your book trailer is so well done! Wow... it had me on the edge of my seat. Also, I love the Taylor Swift video as well as the Beauty and the Beast clip. I think you're absolutely right. Who doesn't love Disney?
ReplyDeleteThanks Ashlee! I'm a huge Swiftie and I'm unapologetic.
DeleteI loved your book trailer. As for the videos, those were the highlight of this assignment. My personal favorite was the Frozen, Elsa song on returning books to the library. When I get my own library, I am going to use that clip! Thank you for your perspective on this websites.
ReplyDelete